There are many factors influencing the understanding of dementia amongst the BAME communities. These include:
- Social construct of dementia
- Not having a word for dementia
- Influences from historical and migratory experiences
- Perceived or actual discrimination or prejudice from services
- GPs, Social Workers, Carers acting as ‘gatekeepers
- Commissioners of services not understanding cultural competencies required of service provision
Given that many of them have a range of differences based on language, faith, ethnicity and other psycho-social factors such as social class and literacy, will mean there are lots of communities within communities. Therefore we cannot assume that a ‘one-size fits all’ approach can be easily used, nor can we assume that they look after their own.